Thursday, August 12, 2010

Long time no post!!

I am going to try to get back to posting at least once a week. It has been 4 months since I posted last so there is a lot to catch up on.

Upcoming posts will include-
NYC trip with pics
Brianna's wedding
Mary's Bauman's Wedding in Houston
Melisa's Wedding
Family Reunion in Arkansas
And whatever else I can think of

But for today I will talk about the wildlife in my neighborhood!

Kyle and I have lived in our house for almost 2 years (as of Labor Day Weekend). Soon after we moved in we saw deer in the green belt (undeveloped land) behind our house. It was so fun and I loved the idea of feeling like I was in the country despite living in Fort Worth city limits. Then we saw a coyote once and a wild hog. We even came across a black widow which was not so cool!!

Then we had field mice in our house and what an adventure that was. Kyle wanted to be humane and catch them and release them into the wild. Despite the fact that "the wild" was just over our fence in the green belt. He finally caught one and even named him (or her) Frank before taking him about 2 miles away and releasing him. Unfortunately that wasn't the only field mouse and Kyle got tired of them and resorted to traps and poison. So much for being humane!

But that isn't all! We have some new animals to add to the list.

In May, Melisa and I were headed down Huffines road and something caught our eye. It was a SNAKE! It stretched the entire width of the lane which I don't know how long that is but I bet Kyle would know (Former Mr. City of Hurst street crew!). Melisa was so shocked that she swerved. Why would she do that? I don't know. I would have ran that thing over. I wouldn't even think about what it would do to my car (which is probably why I shouldn't get a nice car after the neon.) I just wanted that thing dead! Sure enough a couple of days later Kyle saw it in the road again. I like to think it was the same one and not another HUGE snake!

That brings me to yesterday. I was heading out to run errands and I saw what looked like a dog in the road but it resembled a cat. It was a cat. A BOBCAT!!!! Luckily it had been hit by a car (not mine) and it was dead. I was shocked. I saw it again on the way back. Some people had stopped and pulled the animal into the ditch so that people wouldn't continue to run over it.

When I got home I told Kyle all about it and was freaked out. I have seen on the news where a new neighborhood in Plano had bobcat issues and a woman actually saw her Yorkie get attacked by a bobcat. Umm hello, Ranger and Riley!! I know it isn't likely that a bobcat would end up in my backyard ready to eat my babies but I still don't like it. There could be a whole bobcat family out there! So from now I am on the lookout for bobcats and the dogs are not allowed outside by themselves. Am I an overprotective mommy? Yes!

No comments:

 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity