Monday, February 2, 2015

New Year's Resolution Update

So here you can read my New Year's Resolution post. Now that it has been a month I thought I would do an update to continue to hold myself accountable.

My daily goal was to pray more often-
  • The boys and I have continued to pray each morning on our short drive to school.  I really like these prayers because we start off taking turns saying 'good morning Jesus', then I lead the prayers talking about the good/bad weather, thanking him for our blessings, asking for help at school and listening to mommy and daddy, they tell me something they are thankful for (just Cooper right now) and then we say 'we love you Jesus' and close the prayer.   It is simple, sweet, and to the point.
  • Prayer before meals is going well. My main goal was to pray with the boys before dinner each night and we are doing awesome at this.  Cooper leads us in the sweetest prayer he learned at school and I just love hearing it.  We are even doing pretty well at praying at restaurants and with our extended family.  However, I am not doing well praying before breakfast and lunch.
  • Prayers before bed is going great with the boys however I really need to work on this for me.  I think I have realized that I need to pray somewhere else other than my bed.  It has always been easy for me to fall asleep so 9 times out of 10 I fall asleep praying.  I want my prayer time to be more intentional so I know this is something I need to work on this month.
My weekly goal was to attend mass each Sunday-
  • I have attended every Sunday since Christmas except I missed the Sunday we were in Austin.  I planned to find a church ahead of time and just didn't make it a priority and wasn't sure since we were there with non-Catholic friends.  In hindsight we were on our own Sunday morning and had plenty of time to go.  I just made excuses, but will be better.
  • So far each Sunday I have gone on my own because it is easier especially if I go to the 7:30am service.  However, one Sunday Kyle and the boys joined me and they did great.  I really need to start taking them more because it isn't always about 'what is easier.'
  • Yesterday morning I woke up feeling stressed about all of the things I needed to do.  I started making a list and just knew I couldn't do it all. I started telling Kyle that I didn't have time to go to church.  Then I stopped, looked at the list, and realized nothing on that list mattered except going to church.  Luckily Kyle let me rush to get ready and go by myself since there wasn't time to get everyone else ready in time.
My monthly goal was to learn more about my Catholic faith-
  • My unofficial plan was to read one religious book each month.  I started reading a good Christian parenting book, but then put it down and haven't picked it up since (though people keep raving about how helpful and good it is).  I did find a book about devotionals that I started reading again, but didn't do that until the last few days of the month. 
  • I would like to read two books to make up for January but let's be realistic and set a goal of reading one.
  • I did listen to a 1 hour audio cd about marriage that my mom let me borrow and Kyle listened to it as well with me.  This makes me really want to look into audio books since I am I the car nearly 2 hours every day.
  • I feel like I have no free time to sit and read a book, but funny thing is that I make time to play games on my phone and check Facebook...need to prioritize.
My yearly goal was to go to reconciliation-
  • I haven't been yet but since Lent is about to start now would be a good time.  The priest mentioned it in church on Sunday so I need to look at the schedule and go.
Overall I think I have done pretty well this month.  There is room for improvement, but luckily I still have 11 months of the year.

How are you doing with your resolutions?

No comments:

 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity