Thursday, May 1, 2014

Little River Part 2

The cabin is pretty much in the middle of nowhere.  We can watch tv but usually only turn it on for the weather or to watch the Ranger game in the evenings. There is no cell phone service or internet.  It is a chance to completely unplug and enjoy.

We go for rides, play outdoor games, talking and do some work during the day. In the evening we relax and play some card games or board games before bed.

Kyle's grandmother plans breakfast and dinner each day and we bring snacks and drinks.  We just snack through lunch time. The food is always delicious.

Kyle's parents slept with Cooper out in the camper.  Kyle and I each slept in a twin bed in the cabin with Casen in a pack 'n play.  Tyler sleeps on the pullout couch.  We are quickly outgrowing the sleeping quarters, but that just means we will need to get more creative with air mattresses or maybe tents...for the boys!  We spend most of our time outdoors anyway so we just make it all work.

Always on a four wheeler.


Kyle's grandparents needed some work done while we were there after having damage from an ice storm in December.  The men did a lot of work, but I think Kyle enjoyed it.  He likes manual labor and helping people out.  Cooper sat on a four wheeler and supervised the work. 
At one point Tyler and Casen joined in.

Everyone relaxing, eating, and talking.

A family friend, Bob has a cabin right next door and he is always there when Kyle's grandparents are.  Bob and Nana are our tour guides for long four wheeler rides on different trails.  In previous years someone stayed with Cooper at the cabin during these rides.  This year Cooper got to go on his first long ride.  He fell asleep about 10 minutes into it which didn't surprise us because it was around nap time. 

Unfortunately we ended up going down a wrong trail and it had a lot of fallen trees in the path (due to the ice storm).  Bob had a bow saw with him and they decided to cut through them so we could continue on.  Unfortunately just a little further ahead there were a few more....and then a few more.  The boys cut through about 15 trees and we were gone for over 3 hours!  Cooper only slept about 20 minutes of it.  He got antsy as did the rest of us while the guys were clearing the path.  But really Cooper did awesome for his first long ride.  He will definitely be ready next year.

We joked the ride was 'The Ride From Hell' or 'Trail of Tears'


Clapping again

Casen isn't walking yet (which was the same for Cooper's first trip) so that was a bit of a challenge.  We spend so much time outdoors that I think he wanted to crawl like crazy but he couldn't.  It was also challenging at meal times. But again he did awesome and was so good the entire time.  The last night he didn't sleep as well, but it still wasn't bad. In general he is a happy and content little guy.

Grandpa and his boys.  Cooper has a sad face because he wanted to go for another ride...I am sure you are shocked.  Don't worry after pictures Grandpa took him.

That silly tongue and a fake smile

Love this sweet face that looks a little determined to set someone straight. Not sure what he was saying or doing.

Grandpa let Cooper take a turn driving.

In past years I have never been comfortable driving a four wheeler. I tried it once but just preferred to ride behind Kyle instead.  This year I decided to finally figure out and give it a try.  I only went on the roads around the cabin, but I enjoyed it and even took Cooper out once or twice.  I am definitely not comfortable enough for the long rides that go through rivers, up and down hills, and have to go over things.  But I am glad I finally tried again and hopefully over the years I will get more comfortable with it.
Mimi and Grandpa decided to take Casen for a ride down to the river.

Cooper's first year we found him a walking stick.  Each year Grandpa has engraved something on it. Cooper 2012, LRR 2013 and this year just 2014.  We decided to switch to just dates so we don't run out of room too soon.

And of course this year Casen had to get his walking stick also. I love traditions and love these walking sticks.  It will be so fun to see them grow and change each year.
Please excuse the 4 different pictures but I couldn't decide which was my favorite because in one Cooper looks good and in another Casen does.




We did a family picture!! I look at little rough but I was convinced that I would do no makeup and spend no time styling my hair while we were there.  I am really trying to be better about family pictures of us at holidays and events. 

The boys with Uncle T and his walking stick also.

Last year Tyler didn't get to come because he was still in college.  We always think it is more fun when he is there.  Tyler is so great with our boys.  He took Cooper on several rides. Played games with them. And he would jump in and hold Casen so that I could eat dinner or whatever.  These boys love their uncle and we are glad he is back up here now that college is done.  We hope he never lives too far.

We really had such a wonderful trip.  We are lucky to have such great family that we love spending time with and that love being with our boys.  We look forward to this trip every year and wish we could go more.  I can't wait until next year when both boys are mobile and going for more rides.  Kyle is already dreaming of buying a four wheeler or side-by-side to have up there.

2 comments:

mom said...

It looks like so much fun! Love the walking sticks!

Hayley Chandler said...

What sweet memories!!! It sounds like your boys will look forward to going to the cabin each year. That's also a great family pic!

 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity