When Casen was 3 weeks old I saw my ob/gyn because I was dealing with some back pain, frequent urination, and a lot of blood in my urine (it looked like cranberry juice). They thought I had a bladder infection and treated it accordingly.
2 weeks later I saw my urologist because the symptoms returned. Once again they thought it was a bladder infection that just didn't clear up all the way from the first round of antibiotics. I told her that I really thought it was a kidney stone but she said lets start with another round of meds.
Last Wednesday my back hurt really bad and the blood showed up again. This continued off and on through the weekend. Sunday my back hurt so bad that I was tempted to go to the ER, but decided to wait since my follow up with the urologist was the next day.
Monday I went to my appointment only to find out it was actually Tuesday. I begged them to see me while I was there but they insisted they were overbooked and that I would have to come back Tuesday. By Monday afternoon the pain was unbearable so I told Kyle that I needed to go to the ER.
After 6 hours at the ER they confirmed that I had a 'large' kidney stone. They sent me home with pain meds and told me to keep my appointment the next day with my urologist.
After a frustrating morning of trying to get things taken care of ASAP with the urologist and chasing down medical records from the night before (the ER doctor assured me that I didn't need them because my urologist would have access to them online, but then the urologist said they didn't have access) I went to the urologist my appointment on Tuesday. After another xray they confirmed that I had a large kidney stone. In fact it was 10mm by 6mm and they said there is no way I could pass one that size on my own.
The urologist said that the kidney stone would need to be blasted and they couldn't do that at their office. The nurse would need to call me after lunch with a scheduled procedure on Wednesday or Thursday. After multiple phone calls all afternoon because I didn't hear anything they told me that I couldn't have the procedure until Thursday at 1:00. I was very upset that I would have to wait that long but it was the end of the day and there was nothing I could do.
Let me explain that not only have I been in a ton of pain but all of this was complicated by the fact that I nurse Casen and am limited on what pain meds I can have. I have some supply built up but not that much since my baby eats like a 9 month old! Plus I was told by the ER that I had to pump and dump for 48 hours because of the meds they gave me and that didn't include what I would have to do after the procedure. I kept telling everyone my situation in hopes they would sympathize with my pain and the nursing situation. Unfortunately no one seemed to feel any sense of urgency or the need to help make things easier.
So early this morning I started making phone calls to see if I could get my appointment moved up which I couldn't and I quickly found out that I may not even get to have the procedure.
I spent all day today on the phone with the urologist, the hospital, the various nurses for my procedures at various offices, the lady that verifies insurance, my insurance, my gynecologist, and a new primary care all so that I could have this procedure done. Everyone was saying something different, I had to leave all kinds of messages and wait for return calls, and it was just a disaster.
I don't have a primary care because when I moved to FW I would go to the university clinic and the other primary that I saw sometimes retired. Well I need a referral for the hospital, but then I was told I didn't need one, and then they came back and said that I did. I was told my gyno could do the referral, then I was told they couldn't, then I was told they could, and finally I was told they couldn't. At this point it was after 2 and I was told if the hospital didn't get my referral by 4:30 they would cancel my procedure. Finally at 2:30 I found a primary down the street from us that had an opening at 3:45 so that I could get a referral.
The staff at the primary care was amazing. They got me in quickly, were patient as my starving child screamed (he wasn't starving, he just thought he was), and got the referral done in time. In fact I got the referrals before I ever even saw the doctor. Then when I did see her she was there for like 3 minutes and then gone. Basically I paid a $20 copay for two pieces of paper.
I think I have it all worked out now and should be getting the procedure done at 1:00. I can't eat after midnight and am not sure how nursing will go tomorrow.
Now it is after midnight and Casen still isn't asleep. Not sure what his deal is. He is a wonderful sleeper but some nights he goes to bed at 9 and others not until midnight. Can be pretty frustrating at times. He probably senses my nerves and the need for sleep.
Hoping he gives in soon. Wish me luck tomorrow and say a few prayers.
Thank you
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
Oh gosh, Dianna. You are so strong and very determined. I hope everything goes well tomorrow and that you get good sleep once Casen goes down.
Take care.
Oh my gosh I feel your pain!!!! I had them with both of the boys!!! Knock on wood...haven't had any with Sloane yet. They are very common during pregnancy and so painful. I also had large stones and they had to remove them with Dawson. With Hudson they removed them and then a month or so later had to have one blasted. Not fun!! The medicine that they gave me was fine and I was still able to nurse. Good luck!
Post a Comment