We are doing really well but still adjusting.
My recovery this time was so much better than it was with Cooper. Though still very sore I was actually able to get up and was ready to go home as soon as we could. With Cooper I didn't even want to get out of the hospital bed for the first 24 hours.
Despite feeling better Kyle still handled most of Casen's care as far as changing him, swaddling him, and getting him in and out of the bassinet thing. He would give him to me for each feeding and then take him back. Again because we were only in the hospital for 24 hours Kyle didn't have to do as much either.
We did send Casen to the nursery for about 3-4 hours overnight after I fed him. Casen did a little bit of gagging due to swallowing amniotic fluid and the constant noises made it hard for Kyle and I to rest. I decided that it would be better for the nurses to watch him and allow us to sleep.
Casen latched great from the beginning and has been a great nurser. In the beginning with Cooper he never seemed satisfied with just the colostrum until my milk came in therefore we gave him a little formula with a medicine dropper in the beginning. Casen however seemed perfectly satisfied with what he got from me and never needed formula.
My milk came in Thursday afternoon and Casen has done great since then. He does spit up quite a bit but since he is gaining weight fine we aren't concerned.
Casen went to the doctor at 3 days old and his weight was 7lbs 4oz (it was 7lbs 11oz at birth). We went to the doctor on yesterday for his 2 week appointment and he was up to 8lbs 1.8oz and 21 inches long now. His umbilical cord is finally off as well as his circumcision ring so he is cleared for a real bath. I am going to give him one today and I will take pictures.
I am healing well and as I said before it has been much easier this go round. I am still sore at times but no complications. My only complaint is getting used to the curves (aka big boobs) that come with being a nursing momma. I hated them with Cooper and I hate them again with Casen. My clothes don't fit the same and I just feel very self conscious.
Kyle is doing great as a daddy of two but this time most of his time focuses on Cooper. It is just easier at this point for him to handle Cooper and I handle Casen.
Since my recovery was easier this time and Kyle lacked vacation time he went back to work on that Wednesday. My mom stayed one night with us as well but it has been very different from the first time. Luckily I feel more confident this time so it hasn't been a big deal.
And of course how is big brother doing? Overall Cooper is doing great. He is his normal busy self. He is sweet with Casen and likes to give him kisses but isn't overly interested in him. Cooper still likes to do his own thing and plays each evening like usual. He has been whinier and more needy than normal but that was to be expected. There are times when he gets jealous when I am nursing Casen or trying to get Casen to sleep. I try to explain to him that we take turns and his turn is next. Plus Kyle usually jumps in and helps Cooper or preoccupied him until I am done.
I try to make the most of my time with Cooper when Casen is sleeping in the evenings. I play games on the floor with Cooper or let me him help with dinner. It really is the same as before just trying to find a balance. There are times when I get frustrated because both boys want/need me at the same time. I don't want to always pick Casen, but remind myself that it is temporary and will get better soon.
We are all adjusting to life as a family of four. There are definitely challenging times, but overall we are all doing great. We love Casen so much and can't believe it has only been two weeks. It seems like he has always been here.
I am so blessed to have to amazing little boys and an amazing husband!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment