Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Update on Casen

Last Friday I posted about Casen's ENT appointment here. 
 
Thank you all for your sweet comments and prayers.  They mean so much to me.
 
This weekend I watched Casen a lot.  It is obvious that he can hear my voice and his Daddy's voice.  Sometimes  he chooses to ignore us, but when he wants to hear us he does.  He can follow simple instructions like put something in the trash, throw it or drop it.  He communicates with us through pointing or grunting sounds when he wants something.  I am trying to make him use his words or sign language instead of always pointing.
 
We went back to the ENT yesterday for a second hearing test.  This time they had an audiologist in the booth with us because research shows they get better results this way.
 
Casen did very well during the test however the results came back the same as last week's test. The audiologist said based on the test he can't hear the soft consonant sounds (example he can hear C in Casen but maybe not the c in ceremony or cereal).
 
The next step is an ABR (Auditory Brainstem Response) which you can read about here. This test will give us more information on if he truly can't hear the sounds or if he just isn't acknowledging them in the test.  It will also let us know if it is one ear or both.
 
I am anxious to get more information because the fear of the unknown is the hardest part right now.
 
This morning I spoke to two of my favorite teachers at the boys' school who both have hearing issues.  It was so nice to hear their stories and be assured that my sweet boy will be just fine.
 
I had just put Casen down in the waiting room with a toy.  As I snapped this picture I heard that all too familiar grunting noise from my sweet boy. I scooped him up to go to the bathroom and as I pulled out a diaper I realized that Casen had taken all of my wipes out of the bag.  I had to use wet paper towels to clean him but luckily it wasn't too bad.
 
 
This afternoon I got in my car from work and my car smelled HORRIBLE!!  I then remembered that I left the poop diaper in the diaper bag which had been sitting in my car for 6 hours! YUCK!!
 
 
This evening after dinner I let the boys play outside for a little bit.  Our backyard sucks at the townhome so we don't play outside much.  Casen loves sidewalk chalk.
 
 
And Cooper played with his bubble gun.
 
 
Casen kept handing me the chalk so I drew him a note.
 
This was the best selfie we could get.
 
 

4 comments:

Maria said...

This sounds encouraging! P.S. I've done the same with a pooed diaper before :/

katie@tulsadetails said...

Hope you get more answers soon! Glad you have a great support system and teachers!!

Hayley Chandler said...

You are on the right track, Dianna!!! Casen will do great! He is blessed to have a mama that is working so hard for him to make sure he is getting just what he needs.

Savannah said...

What a fun time with your boys!!

 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity