Thursday, September 11, 2014

Update on getting healthy

1. I got some new gear.  Below are my old shoes.  I am so embarrassed of them, but still needed to share.  They aren't even running shoes!  They don't even have laces!!
 
 
I got them in early 2009 and I remember that because it was around the time we got Riley and my sweet puppy ate at the back of my new shoes after only having them a few weeks....but I still wore them.  I still wore them for 5 years!!  If you know me then you know I don't wear tennis shoes often so I never cared.  It wasn't worth it to me to spend more money on new shoes.
 
 
But after some convincing and my commitment to running I decided to splurge on a pair of good shoes.  Kyle is probably laughing right now at 'splurge' because I waited until they were on sale at Kohls, I used a coupon, and a $10 giftcard.  But my $85 shoes ended up only costing me $43.  Not bad. And aren't they pretty (and bright!)?
 
 
Then I saw this shirt on a discount site but they didn't have my size. So I sent it to my friend Jen and she made me one.
 
 
I am wearing it here but I couldn't catch the words in my picture.  I need to take a pic in the mirror.

I was at Walmart one day and they had some workout clothes on clearance.  I got this orange shirt for $3 and I love it.


I got this green shirt also for $5 and a pink one just like it for $3.  (I have decided I am no Kim Kardashian and need to work on my selfie taking skills)
 
Here are my adorable shoes again. In the interest of full disclosure I must say that after my first two runs wearing these shoes I had foot pain.  It was in my ankle and top of my foot and I hated it.  I was quick to point out to Kyle that I finally spend money on good shoes and they hurt.  My friend Christal is reading this thinking 'I told you to go to Luke's for advice' but I didn't want to take the time or spend that kind of money.  The good news is that I am now running fine in them.  I just needed to break them in I guess.
 
 
Two weeks ago I woke up one morning with this giant bruise.  I have no clue where it came from but it hurt and felt bad.  It is still there and doesn't look much better.  I bruise like a peach but don't remember hitting it.  Honestly things are so crazy these days that I likely hit it on something but was too busy to stop and process what happened.  I mention it here because I kinda wondered if I could have popped a blood vessel while running, but nothing ever hurt during my run and I haven't taken the time to see what Dr. Google thinks.
 
 
2. My time-
 
Two weeks okay I did my first two mile run and it felt great!
 
I have continued to increase my pace.
 
However last week and this week I have gotten off track.  I have been paying more attention to my pace (see the improvement below) instead of distance.  I need to get back on track and remember my goals.  My goal isn't to be the fastest.  My goal is to run a 5K.
 
3. Smoothies
I have been making smoothies by prepping the bags below.  I use 1 cup of fruit and 10 spinach leaves (I can't even taste them) and freeze them.  Then as I want one I just put the contents of the bag and a cup of milk in the blender.  It makes a pretty good size smoothie so sometimes I split it into two and freeze the other half.  I think next time I will do half a cup of fruit and 5 spinach leaves so that it is a smaller portion.
 
My favorite fruit combo is banana, strawberries, and blueberries.  This time I didn't have blueberries and used half an apple and 1 nectarine in my combo.  It was okay but those fruits didn't blend as well.
 
 
4. My weight- This morning I weighed myself and I have lost 3.5 pounds.  My first goal was 3 pounds so I am pretty excited!  In dreamland I would like to lose 2.5 more because that would be my wedding day weight, but not sure if I really care if I hit that.  I am perfectly happy with this weight, now I just want to tone up. 
 
I recently won 1 year free gym membership to a small gym near work.  I need to go take a tour and sign up.  I think it will be great to have this alternative now that it is getting darker earlier and will be getting cold soon.
 
5. Diet- my new goal is to try one new veggie recipe a week.  I would love for any good recipes you have so please share.  I have picky eaters in my house.
 
So here is my update.  I know it is long and wordy but I finally had a chance to document it all.  I don't have time to break it into multiple posts.

No comments:

 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity