If you remember last summer I went to Austin with my boys and my mom. You can read my recap of day 1, day 2, and day 3. Kyle didn't go because he didn't have the time off so we put it on our list of things to do in the future.
Fast forward to October or November and my parents won a free night at the Hilton Austin hotel at a charity event. They decided to give it to us since they knew we wanted to go. Since we were busy with moving and the holidays I mentioned it would be fun to go for my 30th birthday. Then I pitched the idea to our best friends David and Jen and they were totally on board.
Kyle and I took Friday off and headed to Austin around noon. Had to take a quick selfie before we hit the road.
Our first stop was Slovacek's in West, Tx. If you read my posts from the summer you know that my mom and I loved this place. Most people stop at another local bakery, but we love this one.
Kyle and I shared the brisket puff, pulled pork puff (our least favorite), and two different sausage puffs.
Then we had a chocolate kolache and cream cheese kolache. Kyle had tried the chocolate one once before, but wasn't a fan of the cream cheese. I must say it wasn't the best I have had.
We were happy campers after our yummy lunch.
Before we hit the road I checked out their deli area. Again, if you read my posts from the summer you will know that my mom and I tried the original beef jerky spread and though we liked it we wished they had a spicy version. I mentioned it on their facebook page and look what we found this time!
We got to Austin around 3 and checked into the hotel
Then we bundled up and headed out to 6th street during the day.
We found the Texas Lottery Commission. At certain times you can actually watch the live drawings and they sell tickets. We planned to come back later and get tickets, but didn't make it.
Then we made the walk to the State Capitol. The lighting was off with my phone but you get the picture.
Then we walked back to 6th street for some drinks and a snack until David and Jen joined us. This place had an interesting margarita that was kinda fizzy or sparkled. And Kyle tried Mexicali, a Mexican beer. We shared the queso and it was one of the best quesos we have ever had. That says a lot because we try queso at every restaurant we go to.
Next up is when David and Jen got to Austin...















No comments:
Post a Comment