Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Vacation Day 1

So a couple of weeks ago I told my mom that I wanted to go on a vacation, but for various reasons we weren't going to be able to this year.  She mentioned that she had to go to Austin for work and said that we should go too.  Kyle wasn't able to be off work, but I decided it would be fun for the boys and I to go and not too expensive since we could stay with my mom.
 
Unfortunately 2 weeks before the trip I found out I was summoned for jury duty on that Monday.  So Sunday night my mom kept the boys so I could head straight to their house afterwards.
 
 
 
This morning I reported to jury duty but I decided to defer it a couple of months.  My mom had to be in Austin this evening and I was worried about the timing since it was criminal court and some people get assigned to court the next day.  I probably wouldn't have been picked anyway but I couldn't risk it and since they were willing to defer it I did.
 
My mom, the boys and I were on the road a little after 11.  The boys both napped for a bit and then we stopped for lunch in West when Casen woke up.  We stopped at Slovacek's which is a gas station, deli, and bakery.  We decided to order some yummy stuff from the bakery for lunch.
 
 
These were called puffs but similar to a stuffed dinner roll but a little sweeter.  I had a pulled pork one and some of a brisket one.  The boys shared a pizza puff.  And my mom had a sausage and pepper jack. (I forgot to take a picture before we started eating)
We also decided to try this beef jerky spread with some crackers.  It was similar to a cheese ball and it was yummy.  The boys even loved it. My mom and I both wish they had a spicy version. 
 
 
Cooper enjoyed a cookie and my mom and I shared a chocolate kolache.  It was pretty good.




 
We got back on the road but before long had to stop for a potty break.  Unfortunately we didn't have many places to choose from and Cooper acted like it was an emergency so we stopped at a family dollar.  We were in such a hurry that I didn't mess with shoes for Cooper and I just carried him #whitetrashfamily
 
Well of course the bathroom was horrible! Worse than most gas stations!  So I was being very careful not to let Cooper touch much.  Well when it was time to get off the potty we were both nearly in tears from laughing so hard as I tried to get him dressed.  I even had him standing on my feet, but I finally tried to find a clean spot less dirty spot so I could get him dressed.
 
 
On the way Cooper said 'are we going to the shawntel?' We laughed and said it is a hotel.   Since then he keeps calling it the 'show and tell'.  It is so cute.
 
When we stopped I assumed Cooper needed to go #2 but didn't go. After 15 minutes back on the road he screamed that he needed to go potty and we took it seriously.  This time we saw a lot more options and Babi suggested a McDonalds.  Cooper quickly cried 'I don't want to go to Old McDonalds!'  We tried to reason with him but he was adamant so we decided on Chickfila (which was likely a cleaner choice).  Of course as we passed Old McDonalds he saw the playground and quickly wanted to change his choice but it was too late. 
 
Once again Cooper peed, but still didn't take care of the business I suspected he needed to take care of.
 
Babi ordered a kids meal because Cooper thought he was hungry and we left quickly because Casen wouldn't stay off of the table.
 
We arrived to the hotel finally just before 4.  We unloaded all of our stuff and decided to check out the pool.  Unfortunately we stopped by the front desk and asked which way to go and she informed us 'we don't have a pool on site.'  Umm what!?!?  The whole reason we came was to swim and eat!!
 
My mom didn't get to choose her hotel (when is it just a motel? I feel like motel makes it sound shady which isn't the case) because it is where her company stays.  She has stayed here several times before but has never needed the pool therefore she didn't know there wasn't one and just assumed there was.  So yeah, we are disappointed.
 
As soon as we got back to the room we started searching for water park and splash pad options.  We quickly found some options but I must say I am still disappointed.  Mostly because I will be on my own with the two boys and it would be easier to just stick around the hotel.  However, we are going to check it out tomorrow and maybe it won't be too bad.
 
Casen quickly found ways to entertain himself.
 
He was so proud of himself.  I was so nervous I could hardly take these pictures!
 
Our friends Tiffany and Jeff (BFF Aiden's parents) used to live in Austin and they recommended the stuffed avocado at Trudy's.  I mentioned the place to my mom and she was all for it.
 
My mom and I split it and it was awesome!!  We both loved it.  The boys were very antsy during dinner and Cooper was so loud.  Though Cooper tends to be shy at times he talks loudly in general.  The dinner experience was chaotic but the food made it worth it. 
 
My half of the stuffed avocado with tinga (I think spicy pork or brisket) on top
 
After dinner my mom had an evening meeting.  The boys took their bath and played in their diapers/pull-ups.  Here they are in Casen's pack n play.
 
 
Cooper said I have to go night night.
 
So Casen did too. I love how he adores his big brother.

 
Cooper settled down for about 20 minutes of a movie
  
And Casen explored some more
 

Now it is 9:50 and both boys are still awake and my mom is still at her meeting.  I am about to turn all of the lights out and see if they will go to sleep.  But I must say at least they are being good. 
 
Today's Report Card-
Food- A+
3 Yr Old- D
1 Yr Old- A
 
Overall B (no pool could make it worse, but we have alternatives so hopefully it will work out)
 
*Cooper would have gotten an F but he didn't have any potty accidents and he kept us laughing so that made up for his crummy attitude and whining.
 
**My mom and I are a lot alike however I like a plan and can get frustrated when things don't go right.  My mom doesn't.  She is very easy going, optimistic, and willing to try anything.  Thanks to her it was a great day.
 
***I didn't get to post this until Tuesday morning.  We finally all went to bed around 10:30.  Now it is 7:30 am and Babi is gone to her meetings and the boys are still sleeping.
 
Now on to Day 2!

1 comment:

Maria said...

This was an awesome post! 1. I love your report card 2. I died over the bathroom business. That is me EVERYTIME Mac has to use a public toilet only I usually have Ava strapped to me and Adrian clawing at me 3. I wish I were as easy going as your mom. I can get easily get bent out of shape if things don't go as planned. Hope you had all A's on day 2!!

 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity