Yesterday Casen got tubes. We had to be at the surgery center at 6:30am. He got to stay in his pjs so that was easy however he wasn't allowed to drink anything and that part wasn't as easy. You will notice a couple of trends in these pictures- his tongue sticking out and the cup. He was obsessed with that cup and kept hoping it would miraculously be full.
In the waiting room
We got called back a little before 7.
Waiting for Babi to arrive. My mom took Cooper to school and then came to be with us since Kyle had to work.
He was so thirsty. One minute he was smiling and the next he was frustrated and fussing.
He like the rocking chair
But only for a second!
Babi tried several distraction techniques.
Trying to convince him that it is still empty.
Ipad!
And we also took the time to pray before the surgery. I thought about asking to pray with the doctor but was scared to ask. I know it is a minor surgery, but we still wanted the Lord to watch over our sweet boy.
The surgery was supposed to start around 7:30 (though they never commit to a time) but unfortunately it got delayed until 9 or so. Casen was very patient at first but got antsy. My mom and I took turns holding him and trying to distract him. Here he was trying to hand the cup to someone in hopes they would fill it up.
This lasted like 10 seconds!
Then back to the cup..he looks so big!
But still smiling
A SINK!!! Trying to figure it out! (they were playing peek-a boo with the curtain when he found it)
It was finally time so they brought some medicine to squirt up his nose. This would chill him out so he wouldn't cry when he left me. He didn't like the medicine.
The surgery didn't take long at all before the doctor came to tell us that everything went perfect. We waited a little longer for him to come out of recovery and then he was in my arms with a full cup!!
He was trying to drink it too fast but every time we took it away he did this! So I let my poor baby have his way...and I paid for it. Within 30 seconds of finishing his juice he puked all over the place...mostly on me (a second time on Babi so she wouldn't feel left out). Oh well we were going home anyway. He was upset in recovery and it was sad seeing him drugged up.
By 10:15 we were on our way home. He seemed so tired but wasn't quite ready to nap. Here he is fighting his nap. (Babi's phone tends to take blurry pictures)
Babi stayed into the afternoon with us and he did take a 2 1/2 hr nap. The rest of the day he seemed a fussy but he didn't have any issues. Casen is back to school today and hopefully hearing much better.
We will do a follow up appointment in 6 weeks.
I am so grateful that the surgery and hopefully our sweet boy won't have to deal with anymore ear infections. Lately he seems to be a lot more talkative so I suspect his speech will really take off now that he is hearing better.
Thank you all for your prayers and kind words.


























2 comments:
You left out the part about FaceTiming with us to help distract him!
I'm glad everything went smoothly and that Momma was able to be there with you. Everything is better when your Mommy is there!
I am so glad things went well. I can tell you from our experience that speech develops quickly after tubes. J has been in speech therapy since September, and after getting his tubes at the end of May he has grown so much with his speech.
Post a Comment