I mentioned yesterday that this week has been rough and I guess we decided to end it with a bang. Last night around 12:15 Casen woke up crying which he never does. I waited to see if he would stop and he did but then started back up at 12:30. As I walked across the house to his room Cooper said something to me. He was sitting on the couch in the dark! He said he was coughing and his ear hurt so he got the boo boo bunny. I said that was okay but he needed to go back to bed. All while trying to figure out if I had peed my pants because he scared the crap out of me.
I settled Casen down and when back to bed. Shortly after Cooper was crying from a coughing fit and came to our room. I got him some water and sat on the couch for a few minutes before I took him back to bed. Within 2 minutes he was back in our room so I went back and laid down with him. The coughing continued so I rubbed some vicks on his chest and gave him some Tylenol. He mentioned again that his ear hurt. I also was back up with Casen twice somewhere in there. I finally went back to my bed for good around 3 something.
At 4 Ranger was barking to go outside and I slept the rest of the time on the couch because I didn't want to keep Kyle up.
Today is the first splash day of the summer at school. When I got Cooper up he was very moody but no complaints of his ear. He insisted that he did not want to do splash day and wanted to wear regular clothes. This was frustrating for me because the rule is they go dressed for splash day and then change afterwards so I knew he needed to be dressed. And I knew he would change his mind when he got there and all of his friends were doing it. I didn't want to fight him now but I also didn't want his teachers to deal with the fight.
I was so unsure what to do that I called both of my sisters. I finally decided to send him in regular clothes but write a note to the teacher explaining what was going on. I sent his splash day clothes so if he changed his mind and they were willing to change him they could. But if they didn't want to then he would have to live with the consequences.
I put Casen in Cooper's old swimsuit and he just loved it. He couldn't get over his flip flops and kept touching them. He also insisted on a hat.
As soon as I got Cooper out of the car we had this conversation
C- Mommy, do you have my splash clothes?
M- (thinking carefully) Cooper, do you want to do splash day?
C- I just want to change into my splash clothes right before we go outside.
M- The rule is that you have to wear your splash clothes to school and be ready to go outside so the teachers don't have to change you.
C- But I don't want to. (long pause) I don't want them to make fun of me.
M- Cooper, no one is going to make fun of you. All of the kids will have on their swimsuits for splash day.
C- But mommy, I don't want them to laugh at me.
M- Let's go inside and see all of the kids.
We went inside and there weren't many kids there but two boys had on their swimsuits. I finally convinced him to change. After we changed he said 'I just want to walk right behind you'. I have no clue why he was so self conscious about being in his swimsuit, but it shocked me. And honestly I had tears in my eyes, but tried not to read into it. Cooper is definitely my sensitive, emotional one. I worry if he feels this was at almost 4 what things will be like in years to come. But really all I can do is pray and try to help him work through these fears.
As you can see they were all smiles by the time I left.
Then as I left I panicked that Cooper couldn't do splash day without shoes. I sent a message to a friend and asked if they had an extra pair of flip flops, I sent a facebook message to one of the directors at day-care, all while driving to walmart to find something. I am the mom who hasn't bought my kid flip flops yet so he has no water friendly shoes. I got to Walmart and there were no shoes for his size. I finally found one pair of flips flops with horrible skull and cross bones (I hate skulls and do not put them on my kiddos). They were $2.58 so I sucked it up and got them. As I got to my car my friend got back and said yes she had flip flops and had Cooper covered. I was so thankful because it would have take another 20 minutes into my day to run the shoes to day-care and head to work. I was already late as it was.
So hopefully the flip flops fit and both boys have a successful splash day. I am exhausted and thinking about a nap at lunch. Sorry for any errors because I don't feel like editing this post.







1 comment:
Oh boy! What a way to start your day. Good job getting to the root of Cooper's resistance. It's too bad he was feeling so self-conscious but its wonderful that you were able to encourage him. Super awesome!
Post a Comment