Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Beginning of Lent

Today is Ash Wednesday which marks the beginning of Lent. 

I have decided to share with you my Lenten promises.  I am so tempted to call them goals, but goals are often broke.  Promises are meant to be kept and taken seriously.  I want to keep these promises.

I am doing a promise for my faith, for my family, and for myself.

Faith-
Attend mass one day during the week in addition to Sunday.  This one should be easy for me because there is a Catholic church downtown and they have a 12:05 service.  However, if it was so easy, why wasn't I already doing it?  I am planning to do this during Lent and then continue it throughout the year.

The second part for my faith is to follow my Lenten book. I received one from my mom and one from church.

Family-
Stay off of my phone while the boys are awake.  I spend A LOT of time on my phone.  Too much time.  I get this from my mom.  We can't just sit and watch a show.  We have to be doing something else like playing a card game on our phone, checking facebook, playing sudoku...something.  My two sisters are the same way and it drives our husbands crazy.  So now the plan is to stay off of my phone in the evenings.  Be more available to my boys (all 3 of them) and give them the attention they deserve.

Myself-
Starting March 1st I started only drinking water and milk.  No more sodas or sweet tea.  Then on March 20th I am going to add no sweets.  I have a major sweet tooth and often think I need something sweet after every meal.  That would probably be fine if I limited it to just one little piece of candy, but that was never the case.  I am doing this to break the habit of consuming so many empty calories.  I have no intention of cutting them forever, but this is a good time to work on this.

These are all going to be hard promises to keep but that is the point.  Each time I find myself struggling I will stop and ask God to help me.  I hope that at the end of the 40 days I feel closer to God and have formed some better habits and lost some of the bad habits.

Whether you are Catholic or not Lent is a great time to make a promise to the Lord and keep that promise.  In your weak moments ask God for help.  I would love for you to share your Lenten promises with me if you want to.

Happy Ash Wednesday!


**My Hormel Giveaway has ended and I have chosen the winner.  You can see the result here.  Congratulations Savannah!!  Check out her blog here.

1 comment:

Savannah said...

I think posting your Lenten promises is very humbling. It allows us to be held more accountable and as a check point.
Yay I won!!!!

 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity