Monday, October 6, 2014

Soccer Week 3

It is time to talk about week 3 which was just this Saturday. 
 
Wow!  I keep hoping that it is going to get better and Cooper will warm up.  It hasn't happened.  I still have to beg, plead, bribe, carry, and drag my child onto the field.  I am so tempted to quit but I just can't.  It is our job to expose him to these different activities so that he can figure out what he likes.  After this season he may swear soccer off for life, but I suspect it is just tough being three and it really will get better. 
 
Cooper is absolutely adorable in his uniform and he likes to get the ball on his terms.  But kicking it on demand and chasing the ball around the field in no way interests him.  Of course I am the mom that is going to find some way to get him on the field at least once therefore I have tried all of the methods previously mentioned.
 
Honestly soccer is super stressful for me.  It is about 5% fun and 95% not fun.  I find myself being the pushy mom that won't take no for an answer.  I am not willing to just let him sit and watch the entire game.  I wish I was the glowing mom that just relaxed and watched with pride.  Maybe next year.
 
This week we played the Crayons! Unfortunately this was our first loss of the season though I don't know the final score.  Last week were the Soccer Avengers and the week before the Ninjas.
 
This week Coach Matt resorted to carrying him like a foosball player....it didn't go well.


 
Later he was okay with hand holding, but it didn't last long.




 
Casen was entertained with Daddy playing on the pull up bars and monkey bars.  My sister caught this picture and I didn't even see it.  Casen would just hang there and Kyle would let go while waiting to catch him.  Isn't it adorable? Love that little monkey.
 
MacKenzie got a turn too. Notice sweet #9 (Aiden) running to get his turn...No wonder Cooper doesn't want to play soccer.
 
Sweet Aiden won the medal this week for a positive attitude.

 
I tried to really emphasize the cool medal and sure enough Cooper said 'I want a medal'.  I explained how he can try to get a medal next week by not crying and playing well.  We will see if that helps motivate.
 
Honestly this kid just comes for the juice box.  After one trip on the field he said 'I am ready for my juice box.'
 
Before the game this week I told Cooper that if he played soccer with no whining we would get ice cream after our nap.  On the way home I told him we weren't going to get ice cream because he had whined at his game.  When Cooper woke up from nap the first thing he asked was 'are we going to get ice cream.' I gently reminded him that we weren't this week but next week we would try soccer again and he could try to get ice cream.  I was really disappointed because I wanted ice cream too!
 
This week Aunt Lusa, Mac Mac, Tinsley, Babi, Mimi, and Grandpa all attended the game.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

From a mom that has been there, I would just suggest to be gentle with him and hopefully it will pass. If he still hates it at the end of the season, maybe try something different. Our daughter tried soccer and HATED it. She would get out there, but would run on the out skirts the whole game. Now she's in dance and is thriving. So just be patient and reassuring to him and try not to compare him to the others since they are each their own little person.

 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity